Sat, 5/22: 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Professional Development Course
Room: Virtual 3
CM Credit Hours: 3.5
*All PDCs have an additional fee and require preregistration*
To register, please visit: https://www.aihceexp.org/2021/register-2021
This course is designed to introduce OHs to the fundamental issues involved in the evaluation and control of exposures to engineered nanoparticles (ENPs). This PDC will cover: 1) ENP toxicity and toxicology case studies; 2) fundamentals of aerosols; 3) evaluation of nanoparticle exposures; 4) engineering control of nanoparticle exposures; and 5) the use of respirators and other PPE. Experts from the Nanotechnology Working Group (NTWG) and the Aerosol Technology Committee will discuss how their areas of expertise can be applied to evaluate and reduce ENP exposures. The attendees will apply their fundamental OH knowledge to the special issues presented by nanotechnology and evaluate and control ENP exposures.
• Course Introduction and Overview
• Overview of The Nanotechnology Industry
• Engineered Nanoparticle Toxicity and Case Studies
• Aerosol Properties — Similarities and Differences of Nanoparticles and Larger Particles
• Methods Used to Evaluate Nanoparticle Exposure
• Application of Engineering Controls to ENP Exposures
• Respirators and PPE for Protection against ENP Exposures
Upon completing this course, the participant will be able to:
• Explain nanotechnology's role in today's society/workplace.
• Define aerosol science principles.
• Analyze the health effects relevant to nanoparticles.
• Conduct a basic workplace evaluation for nanotechnology hazards.
• Apply the hierarchy of controls (engineering controls and PPE) to ENP exposures.
Attendees should be practicing occupational health professionals with elementary knowledge in fundamental OH concepts including properties of aerosols, aerosol measurement methods, exposure control techniques, respiratory deposition of aerosols, and exposure regulations.
This half day class may be taken alone or as a complimentary class to the half day PDC 603 "How to Assess and Manage Nano and Advanced Material Risks".
Attendees will learn how to apply their fundamental knowledge of occupational hygiene to the specialized topic of engineered nanoparticle exposure. Experts from committees will relate their area of interest to the specific topic of engineered nanoparticle exposure and control.
Business Case/IH Value Statement
Attendees will learn the methods to implement controls to reduce exposure to nanoparticles.
Hazard Recognition/Exposure Assessment
Transfer of Knowledge